[wplug] printing to network printer

Rick Reynolds rick at rickandviv.net
Wed Jan 17 20:41:05 EST 2007

I'm attempting to print to a networked Lexmark z65n printer that was
obviously made to be on a Winblows network.  It may be a lost cause to
get this working via cups, but I want to give it a real try.
Specifically, I'd like to make it a little dedicated 3x5 card printer.
I've found what I believe to be a valid .ppd file for this printer via
Lexmark's website (I had to extract it from a malfunctioning install
tarball), so there is a bit of hope.

This printer advertises itself as a networkable printer.  You just plug
it in to a network switch and presto, it works with Windows or Mac
(supposedly).  In reality, I found that it is hardcoded to a crazy IP
address and I had to jump through some hoops to get it changed to
something on the same subnet as the rest of my machines.  But it reports
a proper IP now.

My next step will be to make sure that a Winblows computer on the
network can print to it when it has the proper Lexmark software
installed.  Assuming that goes well (which I believe it will as the
software has already worked to reset the IP address), I'll still need to
understand how to make cups talk to a generic networked printer.

All the howtos I've seen for this kind of scenario are about creating a
Linux print server and serving out a printer on the network via cups
itself or samba.  That's not what I'm wanting to do here.  I want to
have a client machine using cups talk to a networked printer that isn't
connected to any computer (Winblows or otherwise).  Can anyone point me
to some documentation for this scenario?  Other related topics that
might be necessary to do this:

1. I don't know how to properly create a generic URI for a printer
resource on the network.  I've seen different howtos that show using
something like "socket://ip.address:9100" others that use
"http://ip.address" and others that have something like
"ipp://ip.address/printer/printer_name".

2. I'm not clear on the function of the .ppd file in the mix.  Is IPP a
standard protocol for printing that is printer driver independent?  Is
the .ppd file only used when you have a printer connected to the local
printer itself (e.g. on a machine being used as a print server)?  Or do
all cups client machines need that info?  If the .ppd is really only
about driving a printer in a server scenario, then does it make sense to
have it installed on my client machine that will be talking to the
networked printer?

Thanks for any help.  Really, I feel like I've googled this to death,
but I haven't come across the bits of information that I need.

Rick Reynolds
--
  "You know what the three big lies are, don't you? 'The check is in the
mail,' 'I'll still respect you in the morning,' and 'the Keyboard will