[wplug] Server Monitoring

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Feb 19 16:34:39 EST 2007

> I resenty install RT (request tracker) on an old desktop machine
> (1.8GHz, 384 RAM).  For the remander of the school year, I would like to
> monitor it, and get some usage information.  This information will then
> be put to use for requesting better hardware for when we lauch RT for
> the whole school (ie, students and staff. right now just staff use it).
>
> Anyway, I have never done this (at least for a long period of time), so
> I need some ideas/helpful software/scripts/etc.  to log the hardware
> load.  I have done some googling, but am asking this list due to the
> "collective experience" you all could bring to my quest.
>
> The machine is ONLY used for RT, so it's basic components are:
>   apache
>   postsql
>   perl
>
> So what do some of you do to keep an eye on your servers so you know
> when/why it is overloaded?

We use MRTG for all of this.  With net-snmp, you can create "passthrough"
MIBS, that basically run a shell script and return the result of the
shell script through SNMP.  As a result, you can track/graph pretty much
anything through MRTG, since MRTG is all about graphing the results of
SNMP queries.

You can do the same thing with Cacti ... but Cacti requires MySQL.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.