[wplug] moving partitions

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Mon Feb 12 17:21:59 EST 2007

Jonathan Billings wrote:
>  If you do plan on ever getting a broadband connection, it might be
>  worth getting the hub and straight-through cables now.

Just a minor detail, but for Zach's sake, everything for sale now is a
switch.   Also, newer network adapters can auto sense whether they need
a crossover cable or not.  I believe my 4 year old Thinkpad can do it.

IP configuration is a topic in and of itself.  Off the top of my head,
I'd set one up manually, and set up dnsmasq on it.  Then, set the other
to use DHCP.

>  I'm sure there are billions and billions of ways to copy data over,
>  I'll leave that for someone else.

One very basic way to copy the contents of a disk from one to another, is:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

I tried this on a Windows machine to copy a 40GB drive to a 500GB
drive.  After that, Windows saw the 500GB drive as 40GB, and you would
be hard pressed to differentiate between the two.

Still looking for a good way to complete that operation.  I do believe
its harder in Windows than in Linux, because Windows puts locks on so
many files -- you can't ever copy them once the OS is booted.