[wplug] moving partitions

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Mon Feb 12 16:58:25 EST 2007

Zach wrote:
> I've never hooked up ethernet or setup a LAN nor transferred a hard
> disk image from one machine to another. I want to transfer the Win32
> AND Linux partitions from the laptop over to the desktop extra hard
> disk.
>
> The ethernet cable I just plug into each NIC. Never setup a NIC before
> so does someone know how I do this?
>
> After that is working what should I do to get the 2 machines talking
> to one another.

You're going to want to get a crossover cable, if you don't have a hub
or switch to connect both systems to.  If you try using a "normal" (or
straight through) network cable, you'll not be able to have the two
computers talk to each other.

If you do plan on ever getting a broadband connection, it might be worth
getting the hub and straight-through cables now.

After you get the cables set up, it is relatively painless to get
networking up and copy data.  I'm sure debian has network configuration
tools, however, if you want to, you could probably just use ifconfig and
choose a network range on in one of the RFC1818 private network
allocations, and assign two IPs to your two computers on the same subnet.

I'm sure there are billions and billions of ways to copy data over, I'll
leave that for someone else.