[wplug] Ripping audio CDs in Linux?

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 22:38:26 EST 2007

Hi,

I have a rather large CD collection (over 500) and was thinking of
ripping them and saving the audio files on an external USB hard disk.
Does anyone know a very good ripping program for Linux (if command
line can you give an example on how to rip one) and also a good
tagging program. AFAIK there are databases that can be queried and the
CD title, artist info, track titles, etc. can be applied when ripping
instead of manually typing in all that info. I've never ripped CDs or
tagged audio files before. I support open source and I want a high
fidelity audio file (something a bit better than typical MP3) so I was
thinking OGG or FLAC. I'm using Debian testing release with 2.6.18
kernel and use ALSA for sound. I usually listen to CDs using xmms.
Just curious what does everyone use in Linux to hear their music?

Zach