[wplug] Core 6 Package Manager

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Aug 24 15:52:04 EDT 2007

"Weber, Lawrence A" <laweber at switch.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the Core 7 offer but this PC does not have a DVD drive.

Doesn't need one.  You can pass or even access the .iso over the
network.  In fact, the last time I installed any Red Hat or Fedora
distro from CD/DVD media was Red Hat Linux 6.2.  CD-R/DVD-R/DVD+R
error rates are just too high (and CD-RW/DVD-RW/DVD+RW is even far
worse, 1 in 10^9 or 5 bytes average per DVD-RW/DVD+RW in fact).

> I am using the GNOME GUI but cannot set the options because it
> closes when the error message is cleared.

You mean you launch it and immediately get the error, then it closes?
 Sounds like a design oversight.

> I find this situation odd since I had previously used Core 6 and
> the package manager worked fine.

If you need to pass an username/password to access the Internet proxy
server, then you need to add that to your program (or GNOME's
Internet settings).  At least that is what I inferred from your
previous e-mail, that you had to enter an username/password to access
the Internet, so you need to set your Proxy settings to the same.

> I could never get the USB ports configured to use a compact
> flash reader so I started trying out other Linux distributions.

Which should make absolutely _no_ difference.  99% of distros are
_exactly_ the same.  Only the installer programs are typically
different, but that's hardly driver or other support.  Typically a
Google search gets you want you want, which is not the same for
Windows drivers when you can't find them.  ;)

[ SIDE NOTE/INFLAMMATORY:  One thing I still don't understand is why
people re-install Linux distributions, but don't re-install Windows?
I mean, getting drivers necessary for Windows is not exactly "fun."
I.e., ever install Windows on a blank PC, especially when the PC is
newer than the Windows version? ]

> After trying out 6 others, each with their own problems,
> I went back to RedHat which I have used since 4.something.

Since Red Hat Linux 4.x?
Or since Fedora Core 4?
Or since Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4?

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com