[wplug] Code 6 Package Manager

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Aug 24 14:00:43 EDT 2007

Weber, Lawrence A wrote:
> When I open PM, I get an error message saying that it cannot access the
> network.  Clearing the error window closes PM.  The PC has internet
> access and I set the network proxy and authentication config.  It cannot
> access company network drives but does have internet access if it is
> using the username/password from the authentication info.

Package Manager (pirut) is just a graphical front end interface to
'yum'.  Most likely, it is trying to update the list of packages when it
starts up, and since your yum configuration has network repositories in
it, it will only work if it can access the network.

It will need to have proxy information stored in /etc/yum.conf,
otherwise it won't be able to use the network.

Either you need to set yum to use the proxy, or install the package
manually using command line tools such as 'rpm' or 'yum'.  What would
you prefer?

I also suggest using the 'yumex' graphical package manager, it'll give
you much more flexibility.