[wplug] Book published using Open Source software

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 16:32:31 EDT 2007

Neal Sofge <neal_sofge at rand.org> wrote:
> That's generally (99%) true, but boy, I wish it were absolutely
> (100%) true.  I used to do DTP consulting in Los Angeles and there

> was one joint that insisted on using Word for "book block" layout
> because it let them throw manuscripts back and forth between
> editorial and author up to the last minute.  Biggest PostScript
> headaches in the universe.

I've seen people and organizations "insist" on all sorts of things.
Doesn't mean they stay in business long, or don't replace those
people.  ;)

I've yet to run across an organization who didn't use some sort of
DTP as their standard GUI for their documentation system/standards.
They "accommodate" MS Word or OpenOffice.org/StarOffice for
submission, but the editors do not use it -- they export/translate
the submissions.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com