[wplug] [OT] Why /. doesn't matter -- my apologies ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Aug 18 10:17:56 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 07:29 -0400, Greg Simkins wrote:
> Actually, I enjoyed your observations.  Being a 1951 baby, I grew up
> through the space race, and every space launch from Mercury, Gemini &
> Apollo was a major event and a fascination.  I suppose that the space
> program was influential in my decision to study engineering.  I don't
> know if I am a traditional engineer or not.

It doesn't matter if you are or not.  I don't know what point I was
making (other than maybe the jab against the MCSE/CNE/RHCE "engineering"
title -- of which even I have them to, but not because I wanted them,
long story, as a consultant, you gotta have them half the time).

Just ignore my comments.  They were brash.

> I am so uncool that I really enjoy /. too.  Once you get past the silly
> jokes at the beginning (some of which are actually quite
> entertaining), I often find some very insightful discussion (of course
> mixed with more silly comments).  /. seems to do a pretty good job of
> displaying the more interesting posts.

Many people -- no, many experts on the subject of the article under
discussion, I should say -- have been modded down negative too many
times, and left to stay there, unnoticed.  A colleague of mine and I
experienced this first hand -- i.e., we worked with the engineers
first-hand on an async semiconductor technology and were trying to
provide insight.

I stopped commenting on /. years ago, after my last three comments were
modded down.  I waited and waited to make them, in an area of my
experience and expertise, and they didn't fit the agenda of the
"demonzing majority" of the article and subject matter.  Anyhoo, tends
to drive my dislike.

I hit Lxer.COM and other sites for just the headlines, even if they
repeat themselves.  I also use other, subscriber feeds.

In all cases, I was just wrong to rape the thread with my own agendas.
I was "fired up" and really "without cause."

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com