[wplug] Re: Book published using Open Source software -- IEEE Style Manual (Templates)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Aug 17 18:38:42 EDT 2007

"Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> But I've been using Scribus for several years now, in addition to
> LyX for 10 years, and StarOffice for 12 years.  Again, not trying
> belittle anyone's efforts, but using open source to write books is
> quite commonplace.  In fact, it's more commonplace than, say,
> writing a book in MS Word.  ;)

BTW, if you do technical publication, especially internal
documentation, I've yet to have a client that didn't accept the IEEE
Style Manual.  It's pretty universally accepted (especially since the
IEEE produces 25% of the world's technical documentation).

Here are templates for FrameMaker, Word and Writer that follow the
IEEE Style Manual:
  http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/msc/WordProcessors.html

If you use LyX, it already comes with several LaTeX templates for
IEEE Articles, Transactions, etc...  And virtually everyone has seen
a LaTeX styled book, take virtually any O'Reilly book, among many
others.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com