[wplug] Book published using Open Source software

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Aug 17 21:36:42 EDT 2007

Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org> wrote:

> Bill Moran wrote:
> > and I know from first hand experience that all the publishing work was
> > done exclusively with Open Source software.  He used an Ubuntu system
> > with OpenOffice for the internal layout, and Scribus for the cover
> > layout.
> >
> > Because real people can do real work with OSS.
>
> Just as another note in this thread:  I know at least one author who has
> published a couple books, all written in Docbook (http://www.docbook.org/).

I know several people who have.

But the point here is that this was not done by a techie.  It's not a
technical manual for O'Reilly.  It's an ordinary, everyday guy doing
publishing with OSS.  The point I was trying to make is that ordinary,
non-techie people can do real work with OSS, without knowing docbook
or TeX or anything normally associated with techies.

The fact that someone knowledgeable in docbook could write a book using
it wouldn't surprise me.  The idea someone could pick up OSS software
with little background in it and put together a professional publication
is what I found noteworthy.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com