[wplug] Re: Book published using Open Source software -- DocBook

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Aug 17 20:42:47 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 20:16 -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> Just as another note in this thread:  I know at least one author who has
> published a couple books, all written in Docbook (http://www.docbook.org/).

DocBook is yet another typeset.  SGML and LaTeX typeset have dominated
publication over the last 40+ and almost 30 years, respectively.

DocBook started out as a subset of SGML, and has become it's own, fully
OASIS standardized XML implementation.  It also converts to/from LaTeX
very well, like most standardized documentation languages.

The big kicker for DocBook is the lack of a good WYSIWYM GUI.  In fact,
I'm lazy, so if it wasn't for LyX, I probably wouldn't use LaTeX.  LyX
itself is a generic documentation (typeset) processor at its core, so it
has some aging DocBook support.  But it's very basic.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com