[wplug] cpu load?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Aug 16 09:55:22 EDT 2007

Zach <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
> You said you can trap a process and send yourself an alert.
> How exactly is this done?

SNMP.  Some vendors have some excellent Linux agents for their
hardware.  For others, you've gotta get into net-snmp hacking.

> On another matter I was wondering how people handle reading
> their root mail, I get like 100 messages a day from logging
> programs and I can't keep up with it all.

Basic syslog consolidation, auditing, etc... at work here.

In your case on mail, just use POPS (POP-SSL ;-) in your favorite
mail reader!  If you don't want to POP from the root account (using
its password) redirect or forward root mail to another account.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com