[wplug] VMware issues.

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 26 08:30:47 EDT 2007

Ryan Schuster wrote:
> I'm in the process of trying to configure VMWare server on my ubuntu
> 7.04 machine. I've managed to get it installed, but when I run:
>
> sudo /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
>
> I get an error:

** snip **

Your problem is that you're running VMWare on an "unsupported" kernel.
Basically, maintaining drivers for the Linux kernel is a nightmare, even
hen they're in the tree, outside the tree is FAR FAR worse.  In general,
there is no real concept of API stability for most drivers.  Thus, the
upgrade to 2.6.20 broke VMware.

The solution to these problem is to grab the patch from VMWare's kernel
guy.  You can find them at:

http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/

--Patrick