[wplug] [Fwd: ISV Insider | March 2007 | Red Hat Enterprise L5

Brandon Poyner bpoyner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 11:59:07 EDT 2007

On 4/9/07, Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org> wrote:

> Has anyone else try their "complimentary copy" of RHEL 5?  As far as I can
> tell, it's FC6 with a bitrot YUM subscription feed.
>
> "Yes of course I want to install all available RPM updates at first boot;
> we don't follow any type, you know, release engineering cycle ..>"

I began some basic RHEL5 testing with Xen and the related clustering
technologies.  I don't use Fedora Core anymore because their release
engineering is very unstable and they expect you to upgrade the OS far
too frequently.  FC has done stupid things such as rename PAM
configuration files inside of security patches that are automatically
applied via YUM .. not a big deal unless you did any custom tweaking
of the PAM configuration files.  FC might make a good desktop, just
speculating, but for a server it's terrible.

--
Brandon
Kiva.org - Make a small loan, Make a big difference