[wplug] downtown WiFi

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 11 09:50:20 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 17:03 -0400, Ryan Moszynski wrote:
> i'll be all for it.  though, i'm not at all convinced that the
> starbucks model is best for providing web access in a public space.
>
> i would love for the city to get this right, but am not at all confident.

So, just an FYI, when I posted the message talking about the 2 hours
free for downtown WiFi I wasn't trying to say that it's wrong for them
to charge for the service or anything like that.  I don't have a problem
with them charging for it.  I was just trying to make it clear that it's
not truly free community wifi -- which is what the service seems to be
pitching itself as.  None of the info I had seen made it apparent it was
only two hours free.  Two hours is plenty of time to linger in one of
downtown's non-existant coffee houses or lounge style restaurants.

--Patrick