[wplug] Moyers & Internet OT: MythTV

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Thu Oct 19 15:29:40 EDT 2006

> I've looked at this a little bit, and it seems kinda interesting.  I see
> it's possible to get a complete setup (motorized dish and all) for just
> a little over $200.  Decent number of channels available, but honestly,
> so many of them are useful.  I realize I can get all sorts of
> international stuff, but really, how much useful stuff can I get from
> this?  It seems like close to everything is encrypted with digicipher 2.
> As near as I could tell, there was basically no HD support either.
>
> So being that I'm interested, what's so great about FTA that I would
> want to shell out $200 and climb up on my roof to drop the dish there?

 	I dunno yet, but I'm sure you'll hear about it! =_) I am mostly
interested in news from the international channels. I am not interested in
cracking cable boxes to get HBO, etc.

 	I have Comcast for Internet, but the lowest TV package they have.
I don't like the idea of having to pay (monthly) for TV that I don't watch
so much. When a friend of mine suggested FTA, it seemed like an
interesting use for these satellite dishes I've been collecting (for wifi)
-- interesting enough to warrant the purchase of the 717 from EBay.

 	So far, MythTV doesn't pick-up anything when I plug the DirecTV
dish into the 717. I figure they're encrypted. The dish has two other LNBs
attached to it, neither of which has an F connector at the end of the
cable, and I've been kinda holding off on buying an RF crimper (anyone got
one?).

 	Otherwise, I'd prolly need a linear (not circular) LNB, and to
point one of the dishes at a more interesting satellite in order to get
some kind of reception.

 	There are some driver issues with the tuner that need to be
resolved for proper function -- just need to throw this dvb-nexus script
in whatever Debian uses for rc.local. (Anyone?)

 	I'm using the latest KnoppMyth distro from http://mysettopbox.tv,
which seems to be awesome.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com