[wplug] Moyers & Internet OT: MythTV

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 19 14:52:58 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 23:30 -0400, Drew from Zhrodague wrote:
> > If folks are interested and we have time, my MythTV box grabbed this.  I
> > can show it tomorrow at the meeting.  Reply if interested.
>
>  	MythTV is great, ain't it?
>
>  	I just got a Hauppage 717 DVB card, anyone else doing FTA with
> MythTV?

Drew,

I've looked at this a little bit, and it seems kinda interesting.  I see
it's possible to get a complete setup (motorized dish and all) for just
a little over $200.  Decent number of channels available, but honestly,
so many of them are useful.  I realize I can get all sorts of
international stuff, but really, how much useful stuff can I get from
this?  It seems like close to everything is encrypted with digicipher 2.
As near as I could tell, there was basically no HD support either.

So being that I'm interested, what's so great about FTA that I would
want to shell out $200 and climb up on my roof to drop the dish there?

--Patrick