[wplug] OT: Possible Pathology on Cold-start?

DK curlynoodle at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 22:26:06 EDT 2006

Diana A. Clarion wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I know this is not a Linux question, but here goes:
>
> Has anyone out in WPLUG-land seen a problem on cold-start, such that the
> El Torrito boot attempt proceeds, the system then just stares at you with
> the HD access light on, but hitting reset causes a good startup?  I'm
> wondering if this could be indicative of a developing problem either in
> the IDE chip or the hard drive.
>
> The mainboard is a recent ( < two years old) ABit model, with DVD and CD-RW
> drives and two rather old (five years) HDs, one an 80 Gb Maxtor, and I'd
> have to reboot to see the other model (I *think* it's a Western Digital
> 60 Gb?)  Oh, and the phenomenon is quite consistent, over the last couple
> of weeks or so.
>
> Many thanks for any ideas,
> DAC

I experienced a similar problem with a Dell Optiplex.  The Dell
diagnostic software indicated a faulty hard drive.  However, after
replacing the drive, the problem occurred again after a week or so.
Again, the new drive failed the diagnostic test.  I convinced Dell that
the problem was with the motherboard, and they shipped a new system.

I believe Maxtor and WD both offer a diagnostic utility for download.
It may allow you to determine if the one or both drives are approaching
failure.

Dave