[wplug] Free Hardware

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Mon May 8 08:43:52 EDT 2006

Zach wrote:
> On 5/6/06, Michael Semcheski <lists at immuneit.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone knew of a list of "free" hardware.  Maybe
>> the ideal thing would be a list of hardware and what type of
>> drivers were available (eg, open source / free, NDA based driver,
>> amorphous binary distributed from vendor, no support at all.)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_hardware
> http://www.open-hardware.org/ http://www.opencores.org/
> http://www.opencollector.org/ http://openhardware.net/

A site just went up that seems to be what I was looking for:

http://www.vendorwatch.org/

Its a Wiki, and its been up for less than a day.  But, the plan is to
rate various vendors for their open-source compatibility.

I think the goal is to have 0 stars for a totally uncooperative,
non-opensource supporting vendor.  Five stars would be something that
OpenBSD would embrace (ie, totally free license, full access to driver
source, hardware documentation.)