[wplug] DNS Question

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sun May 7 22:54:27 EDT 2006

I just moved to a new apartment and a new internet connection, breaking
294 days of uptime, and I thought I would commemorate the occasion by
setting up named and taking control of my own domain-name.  Up until now I
was relying on the nameservers of my domain name provider, joker.com.  I
know you're supposed to always have two geographically distinct
nameservers, and so I thought I would run my own in addition to the ones
joker.com is providing.  But that seems like it should be problematic --
how could you have two different master domain name servers?  Which one
does the user trust?

It seems, then, that I have to take down my own zone file, since joker
won't let me split dns with them -- it's either all their servers or all
mine.  What would be the effect of leaving my dns up, given that both
services provide the same information, ultimately?

Is it still desirable to run one's own domain name server? Or should I
just rely on joker's?  The only reason I don't like them is the long TTL
(a full day).

Speaking of which, I might not get anyone's replies until about a day from
now.

Cheers,
-Brandon