[wplug] ? Limiting SMTP

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Mon Mar 27 06:42:11 EST 2006

Sawders, Daryl wrote:
> Is there a way to set up an SMTP relay machine and have it only
> accept mail from certain "clients" and restrict the destination of
> mail routed through this relay to a particular domain?

(I'm a sendmail person, so my answers are skewed toward sendmail)
You can either put the client's IP range in the sendmail access file, if
you know they will only be coming from that IP range, or if you don't
know that, you could set up accounts with the clients and use SMTP Auth,
which would force the user to authenticate against the SMTP server
before sending mail.  Most email clients support this option.