[wplug] Another OT buggy-hardware post

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Fri Mar 17 11:11:12 EST 2006

> Thanks for everyone's suggestions, and thanks especially to those people who
> can accomodate for the fact that I don't seem to be able to read
> (Chet) or Google (Jonathan) properly..
>
> The power supply is a new premium low-noise one which is more recent than the
> crashing started happening, so I think it's okay.
>
> I dd'ed memtest onto a floppy and ran it overnight at my underclocked speed
> (1250 MHz).  It ran for almost 8 hours and reported no errors.  I rebooted at
> the proper clockspeed (1666 MHz) and was about to leave it to run all day
> when my computer spontaneously shutdown between 20 and 25 minutes in.
>
> Incidentally, memtest reports the processor as a Duron, not an Athlon XP.
> /proc/cpuinfo reports:
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 8
> model name      : AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2000+
> stepping        : 0
> cpu MHz         : 1222.637
>
> My conclusions: heat and the video card are clearly not the problems.  I
> think the memory itself is ok.  There are no jumper settings on the mobo for
> either CPU or Memory voltage -- just about the only user-configrable settings
> are the clock multipliers -- so the problem must be the mobo or the cpu.
> Based on comments in this thread, I'm going to buy myself a new processor.

 	Are you *sure* that heat is not a problem? CPUs generally get
hotter under use. As an example, my Athlon 1.4Ghz workstation here has a
clogged heatsink, and doesn't cool very well. I can sorta lightl use the
machine (nfs host), but if I fire-up my distributed.net client, the thing
will shit itself pretty quickly. Ditto if I do anything that is more
processor intensive than just sitting there sharing its disk.

 	I have a brand new heatsink/fan combo ready to go, and I'll bet
that problem will be solved by swapping them. I'll post my results.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.zhrodague.net