[wplug] Another OT buggy-hardware post

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Fri Mar 17 10:52:56 EST 2006

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, and thanks especially to those people
who can accomodate for the fact that I don't seem to be able to read
(Chet) or Google (Jonathan) properly..

The power supply is a new premium low-noise one which is more recent than
the crashing started happening, so I think it's okay.

I dd'ed memtest onto a floppy and ran it overnight at my underclocked
speed (1250 MHz).  It ran for almost 8 hours and reported no errors.  I
rebooted at the proper clockspeed (1666 MHz) and was about to leave it to
run all day when my computer spontaneously shutdown between 20 and 25
minutes in.

Incidentally, memtest reports the processor as a Duron, not an Athlon XP.
/proc/cpuinfo reports:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2000+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1222.637

My conclusions: heat and the video card are clearly not the problems.  I
think the memory itself is ok.  There are no jumper settings on the mobo
for either CPU or Memory voltage -- just about the only user-configrable
settings are the clock multipliers -- so the problem must be the mobo or
the cpu.  Based on comments in this thread, I'm going to buy myself a new
processor.

Thanks for everyone's help and especially their patience.

-Brandon