[wplug] version control for e.g. MS Word documents

Duncan Hutty dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 15 15:16:49 EST 2006

I have a client who wants to have a version controlled archive for a
series of documents in MS Word format. Notwithstanding the fact that I
believe this is a bad format for all sorts of reasons, I have been
charged with fulfilling their desire.

At the mention of version control, I instinctively jump for subversion.
However, I know that svn/cvs/whatever don't do so well with
non-plaintext files. Presumably a very large proportion of the file's
data changes for even small document content changes and this makes
diffs difficult (and, although of lesser importance, swells the
repository considerably). I wonder whether anyone has any experience
with a version control system for Word docs. Does this not matter? Will
it just work?

Duncan Hutty