[wplug] Addendum: Memtest86+.bin "too big for memory?"

Chet Hosey chosey at nauticom.net
Tue Mar 14 19:13:26 EST 2006

Bill Moran wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:29:23 -0500 (EST)
>Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:
>

>>So I installed memtest86+.bin into my /boot directory and added it to
>>menu.lst using 'update-grub,' which did it automatically.  When I tried to
>>boot into it, i was advised it's 'too big to fit into memory'.  It's only
>>94k and the vmlinuz files I've got in there are all at least 10x bigger.
>>Google found nothing with memtest86+.bin and "too big". What do I do?
>>

>You may want to consider getting the memtest .iso image and booting off
>it - I've always had better success that way than installing it.

Someone else with the problem reports being able to boot from the
memtest86+ directly without use of GRUB, so you may have success with
the floppy image.

If you have a floppy drive in the machine, download the ZIP file
labelled "Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)". Find
"memtestp.bin" inside the archive, and do a "dd if=memtestp.bin
of=/dev/fd0". Boot from the floppy, and make some popcorn!

Chet