[wplug] starting slapd and PEM passphrase prompt

Matthew T. Engel mengel at allegheny.edu
Fri Jun 30 15:33:51 EDT 2006

Hello All,

I recently set up an ldap server (most systems go).  However, when I try to
start the server (via command line or start-script) I get prompted for a PEM
Passphrase.I get something to the effect as below (command line argument
supplied to slapd are to use the ldap user and group accounts).

"/etc/init.d/ldapd start
Starting LDAP Server Daemon: Enter PEM pass phrase:"

I then enter The passphrase I used to create the SSL certificates and
everything runs fine. However, at boot time when the start up script runs
the script hangs waiting for the passphrase.

How do I get rid of this?

My /etc/openldap/slapd.conf file contains:
TLSCertificatePath      /var/ssl
TLSCertificateFile      /var/ssl/slapd-cert.pem
TLSCertificateKeyFile   /var/ssl/slapd-key.pem

/var/ssl looks like:
-rw-r----- 1 root ldap 1521 Jun 15 14:13 slapd-cert.pem
-rw-r----- 1 root ldap  951 Jun 15 14:12 slapd-key.pem

Thanks,