[wplug] Pitt Students: ResNet LAN Requirements for Linux?

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Thu Jun 29 10:47:11 EDT 2006

All:

I was dating someone a while back (okay, last year) who had a flat in the
Shenley Gardens.  The ResNet lan had PPPoE to the workstation endpoint.
Is this deployment unique to that facility or is the use of authenticated
ethernet drops growing?

I know Litchfield is probably still DHCP (and probably still one big
broadcast/collision domain), but what about other new facilities?

For example:

http://lahmu.phyast.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/awstats.pl?site=lahmu.phyast.pitt.edu&year=2002&month=01&lang=en

dorms-pppoe-1-68-223.pittsburgh.resnet.pitt.edu

...actually according to this:

http://technology.pitt.edu/documentation/Mac_QuickConnect.pdf

It looks like they've ditched PPPoE for 802.1x instead.  PEAP with TLS
would be PKI enabled two-phase authentication (Kerb/LDAP/RAIDIUS on the
backend)

Do MAC addresses need to be registered as well?  What's the current story?

l8*
 	-lava