[wplug] Grub backup

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Jun 28 10:56:22 EDT 2006

On 06/28/2006 10:41 AM, Arnaud Loos wrote:
> I have a dual boot system (linux and XP) for which grub is my bootloader. I
> need to reinstall my XP partition. If I leave the partition intact and just
> reformat and reinstall will grub be able to find my new install?

Assuming your windows install doesn't just wipe out all the partitions,
the linux data should remain OK.  However, the Windows installer will
rewrite the boot sector, so you'll need to use a rescue CD to boot back
into linux, and tell it to rewrite the boot sector.  'grub-install
/dev/<BOOTDEVICE> (where <BOOTDEVICE> is whatever device that the BIOS
uses as the default boot device, usually hda if you have a IDE and sda
if you have SCSI or SATA).

This can get somewhat complex, depending on what distro you have and
your familiarity with it's rescue CDs.

Anything cut to length will be too short.