[wplug] Verizon DSL service downgrade

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Sun Jun 11 13:20:31 EDT 2006

Hey Mike,

I think one thing that may trip you up is that Verizon offers 768
kilo-bits per (Kb per/sec) second downloads for $15/month.  Thats not
the same as 768 kilo bytes (KB per/sec).

Remember 8 bits in a byte and all.  So, they may have reined your
download speeds in, but if you're getting 90KB downloads, then you're
getting what you paid for.  (90 * 8 = 720, add 10% for TCP overhead.)

Something else in your message reminded me of an experience I had with
Comcast.  I canceled my basic cable service (~$50/month) in March.  When
I called and they asked why I was canceling, I said it was because Dish
and DirecTV were cheaper.  (I had no intention of signing up for
satellite service, though.)  Immediately, the Comcast rep offered me
service for $30/month for the next 6 months.  Sort of like with Verizon,
they offered you the same service at a "new" price.  Like "Would you
like to pay $30 or $15 per month for this service?"  "Hmm, let me
consult my accountant and get back to you."

Mike