[wplug] Verizon DSL service downgrade

Mike Sussman msussman at na-net.ornl.gov
Sun Jun 11 12:40:44 EDT 2006

Wpluggers, I wonder if anyone else has observed this downgrade.

I have been a Verizon DSL customer for several years, always with the
consumer-grade service (max download about 768KB/sec).  I have never
observed download speeds greater than about 250KB/sec, but I
consistently used to see speeds of about 175 doing my Ubuntu system
upgrades.

Recently, my service agreement expired and I took advantage of the
reduced price for the "same" level of service.  (The salesperson told me
that I could either get the higher level of service for the $30/month I
had been paying or get the same level of service for $15/month.  I chose
the cheaper alternative.)  Within days of that telephone call, my Ubuntu
system upbrades dropped to about 95KB/sec.  About half the speed.

So it seems that Verizon deliberately downgraded my service when it
reduced my price, despite its advertisement.

Has anyone else had experience with the new Verizon pricing structure?
--
Mike Sussman
msussman at na-net.ornl.gov