[wplug] grub-install

Arnaud Loos arnaud at arnaudloos.com
Fri Jul 14 13:35:59 EDT 2006

So I'm trying to run grub install to make grub my bootloader after
reinstalling windows.

Steps I'm taking (found at linuxquestions.org):
Boot Knoppix
Mkdir /mnt/my_system
Mount -t ext3 /dev/hda2 /mnt/my_system
Cd /mnt/my_system
Chroot /mnt/my_system
Grub-install /dev/hda

I'm able to mount hda2 and chroot to it. When I run grub-install however I
get back "/dev/hda: not found or not a block device"

If I open Qparted I can see all my partitions but I noticed that they're
listed as /UNIONFS/dev/hda1 .

I believe the UNIONFS part is just an effect of running knoppix and is not
causing my problem but I'm not sure.
I believe my problem may be caused by the fact that I have hda2 mounted but
I'm not sure.

I chrooted to my old install so that grub would install in the correct
location and so it would use my pre-existing menu.lst, is that necessary? I
did also try to run grub-install after exiting from chroot and being at the
knoppix command prompt. This resulted in the same error message but I did
still have the partition mounted.

I could use some clarification here. My next step will be to run
grub-install without mounting anything first, but to be safe I thought I'd
just ask.

Thanks.
Arnaud-