[wplug] OT - word of warning on Maxtor 250GB drives

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Fri Feb 17 11:10:59 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:14:55AM -0500, Vanco, Don wrote:
> This is the fastenerless one:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145314
> Pros: seems to be about the best PSU; uses a standard C13 computer cord;
> fan cooled; includes a decent cable
> Cons: Size; fan is a bit loud
> HOWEVER - I see in some reviews that they changed chipsets in this thing
> and it's now crap :(

Are there any models that are particularly good for swapping drives in
and out frequently?  A fastener-less enclosure is obviously desirable,
but I've also been burned by IDE and power connections that were
either awkwardly short or difficult to insert and remove.  I'd
appreciate any recommendations.