[wplug] NFS locks + Vpopmail

Mike Griffin mgriffin at nbistudents.org
Fri Feb 17 09:54:45 EST 2006

The setup:

Qmail +vpopmail + spamassassin + clamav
Squirrelmail running on a separate web server

Issue:
I'm trying to allow my users to change their passwords via squirrelmail. I
have the proper mod installed.
Qmail is sitting on a different box, so I exported the directory
/home/vpopmail from the qmail box to the webserver that squirrelmail is
running on.

Both boxes are running debian stable with nfs-kernel-server 1.0.6-3.1

When trying to change a password, either via squirrelmail or command line,
from the webserver I receive the following error:

webby:/home/vpopmail/bin# ./vpasswd 'email address'
Please enter password for 'email address':
enter password again:
File busy try again later!
Error: Username exists

This looks to me like an NFS locking issue. User, group, and permissions are
setup correctly on both boxes.

/etc/exports on the qmail server:
/home/vpopmail 'webserver ip'(rw,all_squash,anonuid=1008,anongid=1005,sync)

Where 1008 is vpopmail uid, 1005 is vchkpw gid (on both boxes)

I'm coming up empty on ideas to fix this (I want to keep squirrelmail on the
webserver, so installing it on the qmail box is not an option)

I might also add that vpopmail is using a flat database (single file) for
username/passwd storage, and not a mysql backend.

Any hints on getting this to work via NFS?