[wplug] OT - word of warning on Maxtor 250GB drives

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Tue Feb 14 16:18:15 EST 2006

> Fair enough.  How's this:
> Of the Seagate drives I've owned in the past 12 months, 50% have failed,
> of the Maxtor, 25% of the 250's and 50% of the 120s.  Of the Hitachi
> 250's I've had (4) none have even hiccupped (now I've likely jinxed
> myself).  Seagate SATAs seem to suck it exceptionally hard.  Drive
> quality waxes and wanes with manufacturers - but IMO both Seagate and
> Maxtor are at an all-time low.

 	Wow, dude, I'd say you got some bad power, or you have cheap-ass
power supplies. I don't have anywhere near that failure rate, and I am
pretty hard on my disks.

 	Then I saw this:

> nothing I've experienced prior to going to spindles > 80GB.  I've gone
> through many, many TB of drives in the last 13 or so years...

 	Wow, that must be quite a number of disks!

 	My experience with Maxtor has been quite positive. Seagate drives
have generally been pretty low-end, even those overly expensive ones they
used to put in Suns.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.zhrodague.net