[wplug] OT - word of warning on Maxtor 250GB drives

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Tue Feb 14 16:02:19 EST 2006

wplug-bounces+don.vanco=agilysys.com at wplug.org <theoretically > put
forth the following electrons on :
> > Seagate = Maxtor = (IMO) crap
> > http://www.seagatemaxtor.com/
>
> Oh boy, there's an unqualified opinion.  Seriously, how long
> has Seagate owned Maxtor for?  Answer - 0 days.  The waiting
> period for the anti-trust review expired TODAY.  Now they can
> go ahead and merge product lines, figure out what's next etc.
>  Up until today (and actually probably for a few more days
> still), Maxtor was more or less independent.  They couldn't
> even share IP between the two.
>
> Also, lumping all seagates into the same category as maxtor
> because they're made by the same company is like saying that
> a Corvette sucks because the same company makes the Aveo.

Fair enough.  How's this:
Of the Seagate drives I've owned in the past 12 months, 50% have failed,
of the Maxtor, 25% of the 250's and 50% of the 120s.  Of the Hitachi
250's I've had (4) none have even hiccupped (now I've likely jinxed
myself).  Seagate SATAs seem to suck it exceptionally hard.  Drive
quality waxes and wanes with manufacturers - but IMO both Seagate and
Maxtor are at an all-time low.
Sure, you can argue that 4 drives is hardly a large cross-sectional
sampling, but a 50% failure rate is fairly significant regardless, and
nothing I've experienced prior to going to spindles > 80GB.  I've gone
through many, many TB of drives in the last 13 or so years...