[wplug] Spamassassin on different machine

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Sun Dec 31 14:54:25 EST 2006

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 05:06:32PM -0500, Gentgeen wrote:
> What I do want to do is to start passing my work email through
> spamassassin also.  What I am wondering is do I have to set-up
> spamassassin on the external machine as well, or can I pass it though
> the internal machines spamassassin while still keeping all the mail on
> the IMAP server.

I do something similar to this.  My incoming email goes to an IMAP
server at CMU, which has limited, non-spamassasin based, spam
filtering.

So I have a cron job on my workstation that periodically pulls all the
incoming messages from IMAP (without deleting them), uses spamassassin
locally to classify them, and then contacts the IMAP server again to
move them into the appropriate folder.

It's 116 lines of Perl, using the Mail::IMAPClient and
Mail::SpamAssassin libraries, which I'd be happy to share.