[wplug] ATI 9250 vs. Matrox G450

Robert E. Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Tue Aug 29 19:42:21 EDT 2006

That's odd.

I thought the Radeon 9200 was the last card with open source drivers and that
the 9250 needed the binary from ATi to do 3D.

Perhaps this is no longer the case?

The best 3D test I found is Chromium.
Check your distro.
If you have hardware 3D Chromium will run and if that hardware is not so
great, it will run slow.

I recently upgraded the kids' PC here from the onboard Intel graphics to a PCI
(not express) Nvidia FX5500.  The card was $60 from NewEgg.com
Chromium now ROCKS and they can play Return to Castle Wolfenstein at decent
frame rates.

I use Nvidia on my system too.  GeForce 6800GS (AGP8x w/256MB).

I really prefer Nvidia's (evil closed source) drivers to ATi's (evil closed
source) drivers.  What's a nice way to say ATi's drivers suck?

* The evil closed source text was added for the Linux purists and in no way
reflects my own opinion.