[wplug] Tool to detect the type of RAM &/or motherboard

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Mon Aug 28 06:49:25 EDT 2006

On 08/27/2006 01:39 PM, sakolkar at zoominternet.net wrote:
>  1. Is anyone aware of any soft tool that can help me identify the type
> of motherboard or more directly the type of RAM that I have currently
> installed. After surfing online for a while I stumbled across a tool
> called lshw which claimed to do exactly what I was looking for. But alas
> after running the tool all it reported was that I have 128 MB RAM.

Unfortunately, there's often no easy way to determine what kind, or how
many memory modules you have in your system.  Some PC BIOSes, such as
dell server hardware, have extra features that allow you to scan for
them, but that's an exception, rather than the rule.  Sometimes a
program called lm_sensors will provide that information.

You can pretty much only tell how much RAM you have in total.  You can
use a tool such as 'free' or check /proc/meminfo.

You can tell what motherboard you have usually by using the tool
'lspci', which should tell you the model of the host bridge or pci
bridge, which should be the motherboard name.

>  2.  If and when I successfully add enough RAM for graphical support,
> how do I convince Fedora to boot into graphical mode from its current
> text mode.

That's pretty simple.  As root, change a line in /etc/inittab from:

id:3:initdefault:
id:5:initdefault:

Those who can, do; those who can't, simulate.