[wplug] Kill x windows session

Bryon Gill bgtrio at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 14:35:15 EDT 2006

If you want to disable your display manager, you'll need to set the init level
in /etc/inittab to 3, then run /sbin/init 3 as root to get down to the
non-graphical interface.  (Note: if you already are in init 3 and you use
something like startx to start your X session like I do then just running "init
3" isn't going to stop X for you since init didn't start it; you'll have to kill
it manually.

Of course all the ctrl+alt+f1 should get you a terminal, but if what you really
want to do is stop X and you're running a display manager (i.e. a graphical
login scren) then going to runlevel 3 is what you want.

I'm not sure how universal this init setup is, I do this with my redhat/fedora
boxes.

Bryon