[wplug] Kill x windows session

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Apr 20 14:21:15 EDT 2006

Arnaud Loos wrote:
> If I'm logged into KDE and wish to completely kill off the window session
> and be presented with a shell login prompt what's the correct key sequence?
>
> Sorry to post a stupid question but google isn't returning an answer fast
> enough.

You don't have to kill everything off, you can just hit
control-alt-shift-F1 (through F6, usually) to get to another virtual
console.  F7, typically, is the virtual console where X is running, so
you can return to that virtual console to resume using X.

If you really want to kill off everything in the current X session, you
can hit control-alt-backspace.  A warning, that keysequence can be
turned off in the X config file, so you might have to use another
virtual console to kill off X manually.  Also, if you are using a X
display manager, it might restart X with a login screen if you kill off
the current X session.