[wplug] dist-upgrade on Debian Etch, XFree86 -> x.org

Chet Hosey chosey at nauticom.net
Mon Sep 12 12:25:23 EDT 2005

Rick Reynolds wrote:

> [dist-upgrade issues]

I'd check the relevant release notes and bug reports (for gdm,
specifically) and report this problem if someone else hasn't. I'm sure
that with a large project such as Debian, internal communication doesn't
always cover every change, even seemingly major ones, and I've seen
cases which seem to indicate that the developer had something laying
around which makes it work on their machine but fails elsewhere
(dangling man symlinks, mostly).

Other than that, ALWAYS do a --purge when you're just trying to blow
away the old config and install to the newest (upstream) file, or at
least check for file.conf.dpkg-dist (such as gdm.conf.dpkg-dist) in the
same directory after doing the package upgrade. A simple 'diff -u
gdm.conf gdm.conf.dpkg-dist | less' will give you some hints as to
what's changed between releases.

Actually, occasionally running 'find /etc/ -name \*.dpkg-dist' is
probably a good idea, especially after a dist-upgrade. This will help to
catch any changes which weren't considered important enough to flag you
about during upgrade (according to your debconf settings).

Chet