[wplug] Cloning a machine

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:40:00 EDT 2005

On 9/1/05, Keir Josephson <keir at pastadish.com> wrote:
> I finally have the one HP DL 140 setup, updated, and working. I have a
> second one that is completely identical. Can I just basically clone the
> working system and put it on the bare machine? This way I don't have to
> worry about the NIC or go through and update the system?
>

> Your DL140 probably has PXE support on the NIC. You could take a disk
> image using something like ghost. This will allow you to clone or rebuild
> the OS very quickly. One note, you should consider changing the IP
> address(s) before you create the initial image so when you boot the new
> server you don't run the risk of any conflicts.

Yeah, the nics support PXE. I am going to try with Knoppix first ... I have
to download a newer version. The version that I have doesn't recognize the
nics. I only have 45 minutes left. However, I going to look at systemimager
and mondorescue for future reference. I think that they work with the
assumption or work better if the nics support PXE.

Thanks,
chris