[wplug] FC2 to Debian-ish

Duncan Hutty dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 29 09:46:49 EDT 2005

James LaSalle wrote:
> I'm rebuilding my Fedora Core 2 Samba server. Since it's a total
> rebuild, I will use this opportunity to migrate from Fedora to Debian or
> Ubuntu server. Right now I don't see a lot of difference between Debian
> unstable and Ubuntu -- minor issue at this point.
>
> The main question is what file system? I've been using ext3 but a
> cursory look suggests XFS may be faster and has built in ACL support.
> Faster is good; however, I've also seen repeated references to XFS
> instability -- especially after unplanned restarts. It seems XFS will
> replace segments of files with a string of  zeros. It's unclear to me if
> this is fixed in Debian Sarge or Ubuntu server 5.10.   ACL support may
> be nice but I'm not interested in implementing this in Samba right now.
>
> I'm sure many have traveled this road before. Your comments would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Tnx.

I would suggest that you stay away from XFS unless you have one of:
1) very large filesystems (>2T)
2) very large number of files
because it's probably not necessary and worth the bother.

You will need good UPS for your server, preferably enough backup time to
cope with and an automated mechanism for shutting your machine down. oh,
and I would only want to put XFS on RAID. As you say, unplanned
shutdowns are _very_ bad for XFS filesystems.

On the other hand, if you need it - it's very good.
Duncan Hutty