[wplug] FC2 to Debian-ish

James LaSalle jjlasalle at comcast.net
Sat Oct 29 08:04:40 EDT 2005

I'm rebuilding my Fedora Core 2 Samba server. Since it's a total
rebuild, I will use this opportunity to migrate from Fedora to Debian or
Ubuntu server. Right now I don't see a lot of difference between Debian
unstable and Ubuntu -- minor issue at this point.

The main question is what file system? I've been using ext3 but a
cursory look suggests XFS may be faster and has built in ACL support.
Faster is good; however, I've also seen repeated references to XFS
instability -- especially after unplanned restarts. It seems XFS will
replace segments of files with a string of  zeros. It's unclear to me if
this is fixed in Debian Sarge or Ubuntu server 5.10.   ACL support may
be nice but I'm not interested in implementing this in Samba right now.

I'm sure many have traveled this road before. Your comments would be
greatly appreciated.

Tnx.

--
"Real men don't use backups, they post their stuff on a public ftp server and let the rest of the world make copies." - Linus Torvalds