[wplug] OT: Down Memory Lane

Bill Lavin wlavin02 at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 15 01:21:37 EDT 2005

My "first time" was on an IBM 360 running Fortran Level G.  It was
located at Slippery Rock University and the "number" belonged to a
Physics professor.  My next time was on my very own $3K IBM 5150.  It
had 64 K on  the motherboard, a 170K single side 5 1/4" floppy, a CGA
card using a 19" color TV for a monitor.  Ran BASIC.  Sped up the
disc drive using Speedup.com - supposedly courtesy of IBM.
Eventually had two double-sided floppys and took the memory to the
max possible - 640K.  Never did put a HD on it.  Who could have
filled a 10 meg drive?  Had the assembler but didn't do much with
it.  Too busy running PL/1 on the mainframe at Youngstown State
University - an Amdahl mainframe with 12 meg of memory running VMS.
Never got to use one (professors hogged them) but they also had two
Osbournes.

PS - the 5150 is the original IBM PC.  The fifth one that
Computerland in Warren, OH sold.  Bought the Technical Reference
Manual ($35) which had all the info on the 5150 including an
assembler listing of DOS 1.0.
Have Zork I,II and III along with Hitchhiker's.