[wplug] Wget/diff scripts?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Oct 9 12:33:51 EDT 2005

Douglas Green <diego96 at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi all-
> I've been saddled with an interesting project in my "spare time". I'm
> interested in retrieving text content from a website, and then
> sending an SMS message of the new text to a mobile phone.
>
> To be a little more specific, my GF is a substitute teacher-
> available jobs are posted on a website that she can log into. The
> positions get taken pretty fast, and they are frequently posted at
> the last minute. Sitting around all day and checking the web
> constantly is a real drag. I'd like to be able to run a script that
> logs in every x minutes, compares the web page with a previously
> cached version, and then emails her phone (effectively SMSing) the text.
>
> I was thinking that some combo of wget and diff could do the trick...
> but perl scripting is not my strong suit. Is there an easier way to
> do this, or perhaps an existing tool that could do the trick? Any
> input is much appreciated!

My sister-in-law is in the same professional position.  I haven't
looked at the notification system yet, nor am I even sure your GF's
school district uses the same notification as my sister-in-law's, but
I'd bee willing to collaborate to see if we could come up with something
to benefit us both.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies