[wplug] Wget/diff scripts?

Douglas Green diego96 at mac.com
Sat Oct 8 23:26:41 EDT 2005

Hi all-
I've been saddled with an interesting project in my "spare time". I'm
interested in retrieving text content from a website, and then
sending an SMS message of the new text to a mobile phone.

To be a little more specific, my GF is a substitute teacher-
available jobs are posted on a website that she can log into. The
positions get taken pretty fast, and they are frequently posted at
the last minute. Sitting around all day and checking the web
constantly is a real drag. I'd like to be able to run a script that
logs in every x minutes, compares the web page with a previously
cached version, and then emails her phone (effectively SMSing) the text.

I was thinking that some combo of wget and diff could do the trick...
but perl scripting is not my strong suit. Is there an easier way to
do this, or perhaps an existing tool that could do the trick? Any
input is much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Doug