[wplug] [ot] local wikipedia mirror

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Wed Oct 5 12:10:13 EDT 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, John Harrold wrote:

> I'm going to be out of the country for a while teaching at a place which
> might have sketchy internet access. I was thinking about creating a local
> mirror of wikipedia on my laptop, but I'm having trouble finding detailed
> instructions on how this is done. I thought someone on this list may have
> done this in the past. I'm only interested in English and Samoan (currently
> between 10 and 100 articles). Anyway, I'd appreciate any help on this.

Not sure how Mediawiki works, but for the Wiki I maintain (using
MoinMoin), the Wiki software is a Python program which is installed on a
computer with a web server, and the data files are all in a single
directory tree.

On the FAQ:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Forking_FAQ

they offer, "Regular dumps of the database can be found at this address:
http://download.wikimedia.org/"

-Brandon