[wplug] Mac home on a network drive

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 07:47:12 EDT 2005

On 10/3/05, Michael P. O Connor <mpop at mikeoconnor.net> wrote:
> Last week (Friday) I had a pritty nasty scare, my linux drive looked
> like it was going down the drain (good thing is the data is still there)
> but I will admit I don't do back ups like I should (sysadmins I know I
> hear you all calling me an id10t right now)  I am going to start doing
> them, but first I want all my data in one easy place My linux box (my
> winblows boxes "MyDocuments" are already there) so I would like to have
> the mac some how mount /home/mpop/machome in at /home/mpop on it (or
> where ever mac has home dirs)  So any one have suggestions of how to do
> this, I can do NFS or SMB (SMB is already running, I have done NFS in
> the past) or any other shared FS's would be fine.  Can this be done, and
> how would you do it?

Mounting just for the sake of backups might be overkill.  If you are
talking about osx <-> *nix communication, I'd just set up a quick
little script that uses 'rsync', which can use ssh to communicate.
(This will likely be fast enough as long as you don't have gigE at
home, in which case ssh won't likely keep up).

Just a thought.

Cameron